Monday, October 02, 2006

Character Designs

From Kevin and Hong's character design 1 class. We're doing Treasure Island as a periodical piece. So mine takes place in China during the Tang Dynasty (800's).

Last week we had to draw 3 drawings of Long John Silver and 3 of Jim Hawkins. And yes, they are in gray scale. Sacriligeous! I could've used value more strongly in my designs, but everything is kind of mid-value because most colors I use are in the mid-value range. I find I dislike working in strictly black and white.

I came up with a theme for each of the characters, I need to work on presenting that though.

Here's Long John(s):

This was the favorite:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Although people liked this one a lot too, I'm going to combine some stuff from both of them:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And this is the first Long John I drew:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

On Long John, I worked on pushing the two-sided nature of his personality. So I used things like the moon, tides, and yin-yang to describe that.

3 Jim Hawkins:
I originally intended Jim to be a boy, but this guy turned out looking girly, so I pushed that.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I like this guy's face, but other then that he's kind of boring.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I like how this Jim's clothes is different from the others:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Since Jim is the main character, he's the most boring guy. So I tried to make him into a more intersting guy, like a monkey! The flower one is kind of gay but I still like the sleeves.